CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

CMC REFLECTION : liyana

I benefited a lot from the CMC assignment particularly from the third task which was the conversation analysis. The third task allowed me to do my own analysis on synchronous communication and it led me to question why certain elements were used in the conversation I analysed and why certain elements were not.

I did my analysis on the formality and frequency of the words used in the conversation I took from a chat transcript on the net. Since the cenversation involved a group of celebrities and their fans, the conversation took place in quite a laid-back manner. Words used are not very formal and easy to understand.

Besides that, the article summary and implication in Malaysian setting also had something for me to benefit from. The article exposed me to how CMC-type research was done and the means used to conduct the research. I learned why Japanese undergraduates learning English tended to use certain strategies in synchronous CMC instead of others. I could also see what would happen if the same research were to be conducted among Malaysian undergraduates since Japan and Malaysia share almost the same cultural background.

0 comments: